Friday, August 13, 2010

There's got to be more to it than that !

Waking up on the show could be routine sometimes with variations. Someone would yell, "Four poles" and we knew we had 5 minutes to start spreading canvas. Then a quick run to the cookhouse and back to the bigtop to wait for the trucks to enter so we could unload the Grandstand.
One morning Johnny Walker came by the cookhouse and said," Hurry up boys, it's bible time". He was referring to the hinged planks used in the grandstand. But an elderly lady standing nearby heard him and remarked to her friend, "Oh, isnt that nice, they're going to study the bible".
Then we would go unload the bible truck, sometimes there would be a delay getting the trucks in and we (the butchers) would sit on the rolls of sidewall in front waiting for them.
There was always plenty of intellectual conversation going on while we were waiting. For instance....
Tommy and Jack were having a conversation... Tom said, " There was one hell of a massage parlor in that last town".. Chic broke in," I went to one of those joints a couple of weeks ago in Maryland", he said, " they had a sign inside the front door that said, The Special...$40 bucks..So I whipped out forty bucks and slammed it on the counter and told 'em...Gimme the Special !
"And what did you get for that?", I asked.
"It was a warm buttermilk enema".  "Oh Brother," I thought.
"And it kinda hurt", said Chic.
""You mean to tell me that you let them give it to you?" remarked Jack.
Chic said, "Well hell, I didn't want to blow the $40 bucks".
Then Chick says, " So I thought about that and I thought...They didn't trust me cause they didn't know me, but now that I was a customer they would probably give me a better sex service. So I went back and slapped $40 bucks on the table and told 'em....I want the Special". "And what happened then Chic?", I asked.   He said, "They gave me another warm buttermilk enema."
 Now you'd have to know Chic to get a better understanding of these events, he was a pretty raunchy character, His Partner in the Novelty stand told me, they had gone to a massage parlor and paid ten bucks for a hand job and they told Chic he had to wear a rubber.
Well...we never claimed to be angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment