Many people in show biz get monickers hung on them for one reason or the other. I met many people and never knew what their real name was. Like, Mudcat, Big City, Bad Attitude, Butterfly, Holy Water, Jimmy Bad Breath, E Flat, Iowa and Dry County, just to name a few. Some of these guys were on the lam, others liked their nicknames.
There was a guy working for Pico making special events who called himself Elvis, I guess because he had long sideburns. We would all get rooms at the same motel and I noticed that Elvis would sometimes get up at wee hours of the morning and leave the room for a couple of hours. What he did I don't know and probably don't want to know...maybe he went to a bar or was a serial killer, who knows??
Anyway one day I asked him , "Elvis, What's your real name?"
Elvis glared at me... "Why? he asked.
"Because one of these nights you're going to get pinched and I cant go to Police headquarters to bail you out asking them, Do you have Elvis here?"
But Elvis wouldnt reveal his real name.
He was a strange looking dude also apart from the sideburns he wore a baseball cap that said, "I will lick you all over for 25 cents".
One night Pico and I were rooming together in St. Louis and Elvis had a room on the next floor of the same hotel . Pico and Elvis went out to find a place to eat, I stayed in the room to watch TV. About twenty minutes later they came back and Elvis said , I'm going to my room", and left. Pico got in his bed and about five minutes later the door flew open and it was a girl with an apron on and a policeman. She looked at me and Pico and said, "No thats not them." And they left.
It was so fast, I said, "What the fuck was that all about?"
Pico told me, " we went three blocks away to a Restaurant but as we got there they closed the door in our face and said, "we're closed". So I took out a five dollar bill and told them, "Open up, I've got more money than God." And I tore up the fiver and threw it at the glass door. But they wouldnt open up and I said, "C'mon open the door"... and started pounding on the door and suddenly...it cracked... and I said...lets get out of here Elvis and we screwed back here. I guess the waitress got a good look at Elvis but not me. She mustve followed us back here and called the fuzz.
So when the waitress saw me instead of Elvis she figured she had the wrong room, If Elvis had been there they would've been buying a glass door.
As weird as Elvis was he proved the adage that there is someone for everyone in this world...he got married a couple of years later. Yes she was as weird as he was.
We were working a Fair in Columbia South Carolina and there was a supermarket across from the hotel we were in, on the way back from the lot Pico says, lets stop in the super so I can get some cigs. So we went in and as we were standing in line waiting for the cash register I told Pico... Hey Pico... check out the group in front of us"... I recognized them as game jointees from the carny, two guys and a girl.
They had a cart with a case of beer and a can of whip cream in it. We all started laughing, even the cashier and the carnies.

No comments:
Post a Comment