Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Burned more Towns than Attila the Hun

So I did a hitch as a booking agent one year for a ragbag. It was one of the most stressful events of my career. The owner had a mind that went back to the 1930's and thought having grift on the midway was just fine. He claimed he had started out in show biz as a pickled punk. Said somebody had left the sideshows pickled punk out in the sun and it melted so his mom put him in a jar as an exhibit.
 He kept expecting me to lie about what the show really contained and I told him," Ï suppose you realize that when you try to go this route next year nobodies going to book you." But he didnt give a damn and it made working for him extremely difficult.  We had a fire Department booked in a town in Maine and they got us a grassy lot on the High School football field. But for some reason the owner, who was on the show got a hardon for the sponsors for some reason and left the elephant crap piled on the football field. The problem fell into the booking agents office as we had an 800 number that anyone could call. So we got a call everyday for a week from the Fire Department. What about this Manure? They kept asking. I lied and said I'll get in contact with the show and tell them to send someone. The General Manager just laughed. Finally I handed him the phone one day and he told them, "Hire someone to clean it up and send us the bill."two weeks later the bill came and he didnt even bother to open it, just tore it in half and threw it in the garbage. I was so glad when the season ended and I went to another show to sell cotton candy. This is the type of operaters that cause all shows to get painted black.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the sixties, when I started contracting , I set several phone dates for an owner who DELIGHTED in screwing up a town for other shows. Anyone who tried to follow was on a death march. After a couple months , I left and have always been very wary of new operations or unknown operators.

    I finally started producing my own magic/circus/stage shows, sometimes in a tent but mostly indoors. As a producer I got a taste of the other side. Most agents work as an independent contractor and receive a booking fee for each contract they sign. Unfortunately this sometime leads to the agent misrepresenting the size or contents of the show to LAND the date. Its a simple case of no contract...no fee.

    I'm still doing some small indoor dates, mostly 2-3 week tours. I now do ALL of my own contracting. Almost all repeat dates. Some dates are over 10 years old, same town ,same sponsor. It doesn't have to be the biggest,the best or even the greatest. It just has to be WHAT THEY WERE PROMISED, no one likes being lied to.

    ReplyDelete